Monday, September 8, 2014

Letter to my Grandma (Letter 1 - A Deceased person you wish you could talk to)

Dear Grandma (mata - as we all used to call her)

It's been 12 yrs since you left for the heavenly abode. (And i never realized its that long...i had to count to be sure it was 12 years) I think about you quite often. And I miss you.

I often think about our winter trips to your house. How I enjoyed going with you to Gurudwara every morning. And getting prasad there. How you would try to get us extra halwa because we loved it. Your trip to sabzi mandi on the way back....and your awesome bargaining and calculation skills. You never ever went to school or was never taught maths in any form yet I never saw you making a mistake of a single penny.
I also miss those small treats you will get us on the way back.

Later when you started living with us in Jammu - While growing up we used to accompany you to mandir every evening. And how you would treat us to golgappas on every round. Believe me those are my only happy memories of enjoying golgappas.
I also just realised how mandir or gurudwara didn't make any difference to your religious beliefs and faith. There was no question ever about why you would go to either place. Your faith in the supreme power was all that was important. That also reminds me of all the prayers you would chant every morning while taking bath and how you would thank each Day and God with a beautiful one liner of yours.

I know at times I have not been that nice and sweet a grand child with you. I picked fights with you, got upset, got angry and many a times perhaps insulted you too. I am really really sorry about all that. Though i know any amount of sorry won't be enough.

Inspite of love hate relationship we had - I am most thankful that I was there with you in your last days. Being able to take care of you - cleaning you, combing your hair, helping you eat. That was the least i could do. I thank God for giving me that opportunity. And I Thank God for your love and affection always...

Keep your hand of blessings on us always!

May you rest in peace always.
Much love and regards
Your granddaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! I am honored you are here :)